Monday, March 14, 2016

Improv

       Now I am going to be the first to admit that when I was younger, and even last year, I was not to fond of improv. It wasn't because of dancing or because of the people, but all it was was that I was to inside of my head. I cared what others thought of me, I cared if they thought that the step I just came up with was stupid, and I cared if they thought that I looked stupid. Now looking back at it I wished that I never dreaded improv, I wish that I had looked at it as an opportunity to just dance. There is this girl in my class, I'm not going to say her name, but when she dances it just makes me happy. It is not because of her technique or her creativity, but just the fact that she is dancing and that she is living in the moment. Last year, my studio closed down and we got a new owner. We took improv class, and that is what opened me up and realized a few things. I realized that  I shouldn't care what people think. I know that people say this all the time, but the truth is that you really shouldn't, when it comes to some of your actions you should. I also realized that I should live in the moment because you never know that could have been the last time I danced. 


                                           Some Tips to Help You Improv..



  1.  Get out of your head. Don't care what people think, if it feels good than it is right.
  2. Dance as it is your last time because you never know it could be your last time ever dancing.
  3. Don't use tricks like turns and leaps as improv use those as steps if you get stuck. Dancing is not about how many turns you can do or how high you can kick, but it is about living in the moment.
  4. Think about something that has been bothering you or something that you have been mad about. Take those thoughts and use them when you dance. Get all of your stress out when you improv, this will make it easier. It is proven that dancing helps relieve stress, so if you have a big test coming up just take a break from studying and dance.    

This is all that I have for today, but remember that as dancers we are not practicing for that ribbon or trophy that we get at competition. We dance for that feeling that we get on stage and even in the classroom. That feeling that is really indescribable, but kind of makes you feel like you can do anything. 
                                        Keep Dancing,
                                                 Hannah
      



               

No comments:

Post a Comment