Thursday, March 31, 2016

Planking

     
Planking is so good for dancers because it strengthens our core. Now you might think that your core is your abs, but actually it is your whole middle section it wraps around from your abs to your back. Strengthening this section will help with your turns, your leaps, your plies, and just your overall dancing because you will be able to support yourself better. I try to hold my plank for three minutes everyday, and instead of just planking to the middle I hold side planks as while in my three minutes. Planking everyday seems tedious and hard, but I learned something during my weekend at Dance Makers. (Check out my post about my amazing weekend at Dance Makers)
 Kathryn McCormick told us that the days where you are tired, worn out, and don't even think you have the strength to do anything, are the days that make you the strongest. So I tell myself, if I can hold this plank, or do other things, today when I don't think that I can do anything, I will be able to hold this plank when I feel like I am on top of the world. Planking is just so important, and I think that everyone should include it in their everyday stretch routine. 


                             Some planking tips.....
                 ~Make sure to make a flat table with your body so that your abs are fully engaged. 

                ~ Think about your hands and eyes making a triangle with your eyes the point. This will                    help you to make sure your weight is in the right spot. 
        
                ~ Stay alive with energy the whole time. This means that you have to push all of your energy into the floor the whole time that you are holding your plank so that your whole body will be engaged.


                Remember, your mind is stronger than your body. So if you tell yourself that you can hold this plank, you will be able to hold this plank. This concept applies to life as well, if you tell yourself that you can do this than you will be able to do anything that you want. 
                                                                   Keep Dancing,
                                                                          Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment